Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Post subject: Computer failure, need help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 am 
Administrator

Cash on hand: 268.40
I've been offline a good long while as my XP computer had the dreaded blue screen of death and keeps saying something like, 'failure to mount boot volume'. This happened right after a power outage in the house (my box heater came on and my computer power went out. I rebooted computer, blue screen). I used a recovery disk but can only see my files on the disk so I know they are still there. But for some reason my Windows won't boot. Temporarily I have swapped out a hard drive from a much older computer. And, I was warned by someone that can be bad as the drivers are not compatible. I am hoping for the best. I was wondering if Ubuntu is an option? I guess it would wipe my drive if I reformatted and installed over top. But right now, buying a brand new computer is not an option. I have looked on ebay and so many cool looking used computers, but to be honest, I don't know which one(s) are good. So i haven't bought anything. Any ideas or suggestions on the situation would be very much appreciated. I want to still be able to play Runescape if possible, but if not, I just need a reliable OS/computer to be online so I can work. If Ubuntu would do that, then awesome. Or, maybe some way to make it not blue screen anymore.

Offline Profile